0

Anarchy In The U. K.

Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Support An American...

Police are searching for the man who shot a Barack Obama supporter three times in broad daylight for wearing an Obama T-shirt.

Any guess where this senseless shooting happened? It wasn't in the Jim Crow south, a trailer park or even Jena, Louisiana. It was in London. This VOTE OR DIE business is real, folks.

According to the Daily Mail, Dube Egwuatu was buying a cell phone card when a British white skinhead with a gun confronted him for wearing a 'Believe' Obama shirt.

The man then launched into a tirade of racist slurs, shouting "I f***ing hate n*****s" and urging 36-year-old Mr. Egwuatu to leave the shop with him, according to the paper. ...

Trying to prevent a confrontation with the irate man threatening violence with a bb gun, Egwuatu even zipped up his jacket to cover the image of Obama and walked to his car.

The suspect, who has not been captured, shot a gas-powered bb pistol three times, hitting the victim in the face, hand and shoulder.

Egwuatu survived and raced away in his car, looking for help. A piece of metal from the bullet had to be removed from his jaw.

Egwuatu told the Daily Mail: "The venom in his voice was frightening. He was telling me that he was going to kill me."

So if you asked me which country is MORE racist overall, the U.S. or the U.K.? I'd say the U.K., not unlike the rest of xenophobic Europe. Lots of folks might disagree with this, given our country's long, sad history of institutionalized racism, and the covert racism that exists today.

I've only visited London once, for a few days back in 2001, but in that short time it was clear to me that broad-daylight racism was not nearly as taboo across the pond as it is here in the states. I observed some of the most venomous and racist graffiti while there. I also witnessed white supremacists and skinheads wearing their stripes in the open.

Sure, racism is STILL alive and well in the U.S. I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not very surprised to hear this happened in London and not L.A. or New York.

0 Comment[s]: